Living in a frazzled world

I want to start this off two ways one stating I am not a writer so forgive the mistakes that you might read. Secondly, That my greatest lessons in life happend after I became a mother.
Yesterday I found myself cooking supper and an old hymn came to mind the words that stuck out the most where I need thee every hour. Now I have no idea about the lives of most of the people that post here except to say that you guys are very well educated in theology. I choose not to get caught up in that aspect of my faith with the Lord.
I have come to relize that a lot of people I talk to feel very similar to me in the aspect of actually having a daily walk with the lord. For me it's finding time to stop and actually spend time with him like I would anyone else. It's investing my time and energy into a relationship with a loving/just God. I personally feel like Martha but wanting to be Mary. In a hectic world it's hard to stop and focus on anything for a length of time. I love the story of Martha and Mary. I would like to share my prespective of this story from a mom's point of view. So read this as that way not as a way to argue the literal translation of the passage.
Luke 10:38-41
Now while they were on their way, it occured that Jesus entered a certain village, and a woman named Martha recieved and welcomed him to her house. And she had a sister named Mary, who seated herself at the Lord's feet and was listening to His teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving and she came to Him and said, Lord, is it nothing to you that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me! But the Lord replied to Martha by saying Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; there is need of only one or but a few things. Mary has chosen the good portion that which is to her advantage, Which shall not be taken away from her.
Ok now let me translate this from my prespective.
Jesus is going around doing his ministry and found himself in the town where Mary and Martha lived. He knew he would be welcomed with them. And he was but I'm looking at the verse thinking how Martha must have felt. She is probably wondering what to feed them, if the linen is clean, does she have clean enough house along with many many other things that would naturally come to someone's head when a guest comes unexpectedly. Not only that but instead of helping her, her sister is just sitting there listening to Jesus talk. I'm sure she got really angry inside before going to the Lord. She was probably jealous and wondering why why is she just sitting there doing nothing. Doesn't she see everything that needs to be done. Mary on the other hand is living like we should stoping to relize we are in the presence of God and soaking it up not worrying about the dishes or bills for a few minutes and Just basking in the presence of a Holy Father. The Jesus flat out tells Martha to stop trying to take that away from her sister. That worrying about all the little troubles doesn't get us anywhere but living in his presence is better.
I am willing to bet that Martha like the rest of us forget that sitting in God's presence isn't a to do list more a stopping point in your hectic life and relizing just who you are spending time with. I wish I could say I was like Mary but, sadly I'm more like Martha. I long to have a Mary heart though. One way I've come up with ways to do this lately is spending time with him in personal way and thinking of him as someone that needs my attention as I need his. Also I try to invite him in my daily activites. Taking the boys to doctor, preschool, park and other places. When the grocery store or driving and someone makes me mad I try to think of a song or scripture that will bring joy to me. I am far far from prefect with these things but to me that's the best thing about a relationship YOU DON"T HAVE TO BE PREFECT.
So I encourage you today to stop and bask in the presence of your loving/ Just Lord and remember just who he is.
Posted on 9:13 AM by Amanda and filed under | 0 Comments »

0 comments:

Post a Comment